You can use it if you can confirm the quality has not changed by checking the “condition”, “color”, and “smell”. If anything is unusual, refrain from using the product. For sunscreen lotion or other cosmetic products you want to use after an extended period of time, please check the conditions below. If there are no particular changes, the product may be used.
- 1. Changes in the condition such as separation, softening, or oil floating.
- 2. Changes in the color such as from transparent to murky or white to gray, etc.
- 3. Changes in the smell.
While storing opened products is not recommended it may be necessary at times:
Clean the rim of the container, close the cap tightly, and then store away from direct sunlight, high temperatures and high humidity.
Cosmetic products are designed to maintain their quality over time, but long-term storage of opened products may lead to quality deterioration and is not recommended.
When it is necessary to store unfinished products, follow these instructions below:
- 1. First clean the rim of the container with a tissue and close the cap or the lid tightly. (Avoid wiping with cotton, as cotton fibers may fall into the container.)
- 2. Store away from direct sunlight.
- 3. Avoid storing in high temperatures or high humidity.
Travel-sized items are frequently stored away mid-use. However, it is recommended to continue use of product until empty.
Using opened cosmetics that are several years old may lead to various skin problems, as these products may have deteriorated in quality or become contaminated with mold or bacteria.
The quality of a product can be maintained if it had been used and stored properly. As long as the product remains unopened, there is no risk about interfusion of mold or bacteria.
However, once the product is opened, there is a possibility that the product has been touched with unclean fingers, the content was returned from hand to the container or it was left without being capped properly in the bathroom.
In these cases, the product may contain mold or bacteria, or the quality has changed, causing a strange smell. Therefore, use of these products may lead to skin problems.
In either case, avoid use if there are any changes in the product’s color or smell.
The features or effects of cosmetics depend on the product. Read instructions and warnings carefully for effective usage to avoid trouble.
The following are general notes to maintain the quality of cosmetic products.
- Use products only with clean hands, finger and tools.
- Avoid directly touching the rim of any container with hand or cotton
- Close the container’s lid or cap tightly after each use
- Do not put product contents back into the container once dispensed onto palm or cotton
- Once opened, continue using until empty
- When storing a product that has been opened, wipe the rim of the container with a tissue and keep the lid or cap tightly closed
- Store away from direct sunlight
- Avoid storing in high temperature or high humidity
Fill the container up to about 80% capacity to avoid overfilling. Glass containers are recommended.
Fragrance products contain large amount of alcohol. If kept in high temperatures, the contents may expand and break the container. Filling products to the brim increases the likelihood of cracking or breakage. Be careful not to fill it over 80% of the container’s capacity, as it may also cause spilling.
The foundation has hardened because the oil the powder has consolidated. Remove the hardened surface to continue use.
If the sponge or a puff was not clean, the powder foundation may have become stiff due to oil or particles from other cosmetics. Sponge or puff should be cleaned frequently.